I’ve created a little spreadsheet costing up the various bits I’ve assembled so far for the toilet replacement. It’s pretty much on budget so far but that will soon get blown by the tiling and flooring as of course they didn’t come in as prime considerations at the time I started planning. Initial thoughts went like this:
Hey. Let’s change the toilet!
- Ok, first we need to rip out the old one and replace it with a snazzy new one on a frame!
- Yeah, and a new sink!
- Yeah, and new walls!
- Cool, let’s get all that stuff and make a start!
The stuff duly arrives plus I spend two weekends trawling DIY shops and I’ve done the prep work and then I eventually realise that as this is a wall mounted toilet you need to work out what the final floor height will be for that to make any sense. I will also need to tile the frame of the toilet before I can actually mount the thing. So despite the fact I’ve got most of the stuff now I actually still need tiles and floor right now if I’m to mount it correctly and keep downtime to a minimum.
Small rooms mean lots of thinking. Plumbing supplies no matter how ‘easy fit’ still require planning and have proprietary hieroglyphs and youtubes instead of written instructions. I bought a flexible water hose to connect the cistern because that was the only one I could find with the right fitting in the shop. I wasn’t totally sure I wanted to install a flexible hose where I couldn’t see it and finally I find a step-by-step guide to doing this kind of thing that says No, Don’t Use A Flexible Hose – Use Copper Pipe You Moron. I then realise I should’ve just ordered the default compression joint it recommended alongside with the toilet as that would have saved this hassle. Then I start panicking that I’ve got the wrong thickness plasterboard for tiling over and that my walls will now come out too far and basically it’s all a complete disaster.
However, it’s not a disaster. Not yet. I’m essentially no further on than I was two weeks ago but I’ve managed to half fit the sink and I at least have a roomful of bits. I’m still running a simulation on the second part of this build – assembling parts, playing through scenarios. It’s certainly 90% planning when you’re doing this for the first time. It’s mentally exhausting but I’m learning a lot. I’m also very glad I didn’t take the old toilet out just yet..