A long time ago now at the start of winter I started the upgrade of the upstairs toilet. At the time I said that there might be some parallels to draw between toilet conversion and software engineering and I was at least right with this in one respect – that they can both take a lot longer than you initially planned. Time is definitely the one thing I’ve not kept a close track on – weekends come and go and before you know it it’s the spring.
However, we’re there now. Yesterday I glued the last of the tiles on and I will grout and another lick of paint and we’re done. So what is the net result?
So it might look pretty similar to the casual eye but there are some important points to note in terms of comfort as well as finish:
1. The floor is now warm. I got a one metre square Magnum mat installed along with a digital thermostat. The mat is set in self levelling compound and then tiled over with hard wearing PVC tiles.
2. New sink, new toilet. Sink from Praxis, toilet is a Villeroy and Boch Omnia mounted on a Geberit Duofix corner frame. The toilet frame is very easy to fit and great quality – I highly recommend it.
The result is clean and light (although the walls will change colour before it’s finished) and most importantly warm. Also with the raised toilet and the easy maintenance floor the cleaning of the toilet should be that much easier. The next trick will be the downstairs toilet in a similar style!
Next I need to continue to apply the same dogmatic approach to completion and attention to detail to my software.